5 Tips for Reading Tarot Intuitively
I can remember my very first tarot reading. It also happened to be one of the best tarot readings I’ve ever received in my entire life. It was one of those magical sessions where the reader was able to tap into the challenges I was currently facing at a pivotal time in my life and give hope for a more positive future.
And even though that reading was more than 20 years ago, I can still remember the name of the woman who read for me that day and the wisdom she spoke. She’ll never know how much she helped me by validating my dreams and encouraging me to believe in myself. And, in some ways, when I think of this reading it almost feels as if it was a divinely inspired session at just the right time in my life.
This transformative experience sparked my love affair with the tarot and it’s now a tool I use for myself and my clients when reflecting on next steps and potential opportunities. After nearly 20 years of studying and reading tarot professionally I’ve pulled together a list of some of my best recommendations to help you connect with your tarot deck and read the cards more intuitively.
Here we go:
1) Put Away the Book: It may sound counterintuitive but if you want to start reading your deck more intuitively you have to start by putting the book away and trusting the psychic impressions you are receiving. As you get to know your deck you may discover that different symbols and pictures within each card may speak to you in unexpected ways. If you’re struggling to connect with a specific card and its meaning you might try meditating with the card to discover a meaning that resonates with you.
2) Start Where You Feel Pulled: When you lay down your cards for a reading don’t feel like you have to read the cards from left to right. Instead, try reading them in the order in which you feel drawn to them. Before you dive into a specific card take a moment to feel the overall theme of the spread as a whole. Do the cards appear more challenging or optimistic? Then, start with the first card you feel pulled to and begin the reading. Like a puzzle one card will generally lead to the next and the story will unfold.
3) Let the Images Speak to You: As you begin to get to know your deck try allowing different aspects of the artwork on the cards to begin to "jump out" and speak to you. For example, if you pull The Fool card, what in this image catches your intuitive eye? Perhaps the stick the young man is carrying tells you there will be a road trip. Or perhaps you see the rose he’s holding in his hand and get the impression that a new work opportunity will present in the spring when the rose is typically in bloom. Try not to limit or judge your impressions but rather let them flow and guide you in your reading.
4) Trust Your Impressions: In the beginning we are all nervous, especially when we do our first reading for someone else. I recommend focusing your intention on service and to simply strive to trust what you get. No one knows everything when they first look at a spread of cards or sit across from someone, but rather, one-by-one the story begins to unfold as the reader blends with the soul of the client and relaxes into the session. When we give what we get the next piece of information is given. If a specific card doesn’t speak to you, try not to stress, simply skip it for the moment, and move on to the next, or pull an additional card for clarity and validation.
5) Let Your Soul Guide You: Whether reading for yourself or another person, the best tarot readings inspire hope and validate the truth within the soul. In every life there are ups and downs and seasons of change, and the tarot is a beautiful reflection of the soul’s journey from birth through enlightenment. No matter where you are in the journey there is always hope for a brighter tomorrow. And like The High Priestess the wisdom of the soul is masterfully revealed through the intuition in divine timing as we strive to realize our soul’s potential.
Rev. Lori Sheridan is a professional psychic medium who has dedicated her life to serving Spirit and helping others make healing connections through mediumship. As an evidential medium Lori strives to bridge the gap between this world and the next with integrity, clarity, and compassion. She is the founder of Hope Ethereal, a spiritual center in Massachusetts where she enjoys seeing clients and teaching psychic development and mediumship. She believes love, like life, is eternal. Learn more at www.HopeEthereal.com>